"Home Assistant is a home automation platform running on Python 3. The goal of Home Assistant is to be able to track and control all devices at home and offer a platform for automating control.
It offers the following functionality through built-in components:
- Track if devices are home by monitoring connected devices to a wireless router (supporting OpenWrt, Tomato, Netgear)
- Track and control Philips Hue lights
- Track and control WeMo switches
- Track and control Google Chromecasts
- Track running services by monitoring ps output
- Turn on the lights when people get home after sun set
- Turn on lights slowly during sun set to compensate for light loss
- Turn off all lights and devices when everybody leaves the house
- Offers web interface to monitor and control Home Assistant
- Offers a REST API for easy integration with other projects (see related projects for Android and Ruby support)
- Ability to have multiple instances of Home Assistant work together"