1. Canada News
- Most of the big Federal Ag Ministries were assembled to tour real farms and talk about labour, small business tax deductions and crop protection issues (what else?).
- The nanomaterial is called hydrophobic nano silica.
- A hydrophobic coating is created on the surface of the potato which inhibits sprouting and prevents greening.
- Green Prairie International, Lethbridge AB have been sending forage to Saudia Arabia to keep their horses in good feed.
- The recent spat with Canada over Saudia Arabia’s treatment of several Women’s Rights activists means the welcome mat is on power-roll.
- Turns out the multi-colored Asian lady beetles exploded last fall in Manitoba.
- People were getting pinched. (These are not your nice red spotted variety).
- This spring and summer they seem to be controlling soybean aphids quite nicely.
5. US Crop Protection News
- ‘Tariffs Hurt the Hearland’ campaign.
- Radio, print, online and TV ads – $800,000.
- Targeting Iowa, Illinois, Indiana, Kansas, Michigan, Minnesota, Nebraska, Ohio, South Dakota and Wisconsin for the first round of ads.
- Farm Futures survey finds that support for Trump is slipping.
- Yesterday’s Ohio race saw the Republican candidate win by less than 1%. Rural Republicans did not vote in large numbers.
- More US tariffs on Chinese imports are in the wings.
- This is a rather shocking reversal.
- There are more than a few farmers growing in refuges (or at least using the rangeland).
- Environmental groups have a concern for native pollinators in these situations.
7. Crop Protection Business
Sales of Nissan Chemical’s agrochemical segment in the first quarter of fiscal year 2018 was 16,359 million yen (an increase of 1,758 million yen, 12% increase compared to Q1 of fiscal year 2017) and operating income was 5,136 million yen (an increase of 592 million yen, 13%).
Compared to the first quarter target, net sales was below 900 million yen and operating income was below 500 million yen.
Shipments of Fluralaner (active ingredients for veterinary pharmaceuticals) expanded.
Domestic sales of “ALTAIR” (paddy rice herbicide) also performed well.
Agrochemicals for overseas such as “PULSOR” (fungicide) increased.
Sales of “ROUNDUP” decreased due to the impact of earlier shipments in the previous fiscal year.
10. China LATAM Australia News
+ Political View over Future of Agrochemicals and Agriculture during Election Time in Brazil | AgroNews
- Supply chain problems and regulation have challenged Brazil for many years.
- Older products are slowly being removed from the market and more sustainable products are being introduced.
- Paraquat has been removed and now glyphosate is under the gun.
- A good review of the distribution situation in Chile.