- Apply pre-emergence residual soybean herbicides.
- Don’t cut your application rates.
- Read the label on how to mix and apply the herbicide.
- Make sure you have the right post-emergence weed and crop timing.
- Rogue resistant weeds – do not let them go to seed.
- Keep an eye on your weed mix – not just the ones in the headlines.
- India palm oil futures are moving upward due to a duty cut.
- Has also lowered the wheat import duty to 10% from 25% – signalling a need to import.
- This may partially solve the worry about the upcoming wheat glut.
- Wet weather continues to decrease quality in the US Midwest and Canadian prairies.
- Soybeans fared better.
- Some hail on cotton in Texas.
- Only insecticidal genes so far introduced are for Bt – Bacillus thuringensis.
- These work on caterpillars.
- DuPont Pioneer have discovered a rootworm-killing gene, by searching soil.
- Monsanto is looking to the same corn rootworm pest, targetting RNA interference.
- Both discoveries could help with Bt resistance in corn rootworm.
- Bion Tech – Taiwan – Bayer USA are developing new biopesticides.
- Bion is looking at Streptomyces bacteria with promising insecticidal and acaricidal traits.
- Some frost in Western Canada last week – as low as –4°C.
- Usually this happens in the second week of September most years.
- If your canola is below 20% moisture you should be OK.
- Otherwise, you may see some green seed – which could still self-correct depending on the weather.
- Critical temperature is usually –5°C on Canola.
- Alternaria could affect some hybrids that are cold stressed.
- Wheat is more frost tolerant, then barley, then oats.
- There could be a several day maturity delay because of frost.
- Specialty chemical company Lanxess plans to acquire Chemtura’s flame retardant and lubricant additives business.
- Offering an 18.9% premium to shareholders
- Platform Specialty Products bought Chemtura Agrisolutions back in 2014.
PPO Inhibitor Resistance Confirmed in Palmer Amaranth | AgroNews
* Illinois has confirmed protoporphyrinogen oxidase (PPO) resistance in Palmer amaranth (Amaranthus palmeri).
* Fomesafen (Flexstar) or lactofen (Cobra) herbicides no longer work on this weed.
* Weeds are still in the early stages of resistance development.
* Next year growers are likely to shift from Roundup Ready to other systems such as Liberty Link.
- The Pesticide Stewardship Alliance – TPSA in the US.
- Provides information on where to dispose of unwanted and obsolete pesticide materials.
- The US still has a way to go to catch up with Canada.
- “Agro-chemical major UPL has divested its entire stake in its joint venture United Phosphorus (Bangladesh) as part of the company’s plan to reorganize its overseas businesses.”